Thursday March 16, 2017
UWaterloo hosts discussion on increasing female participation in STEM programs
Strategies to boost the number of women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs will be the focus of a panel discussion at the University of Waterloo this afternoon.
Panelists at the event, part of the ongoing HeForShe Impact 10x10x10 initiative at Waterloo, will include:
• Minister Bardish Chagger, member of parliament for Waterloo
• Mary Chong, vice-president of business development and operations, Revelo Electric Corp.
• Rachel Pautler, chief academic officer at Chalk.com
• George Freeman, professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Waterloo
• Rania Al-Hammoud, graduate attributes lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Waterloo.
Waterloo is one of 10 universities around the world committed to achieving gender equality in male-dominated academic programs as part of the HeForShe campaign launched by the United Nations. The panel discussion is organized by the University’s HeForShe engineering chapter.
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2017
Time: 2:45 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: Science Teaching Complex, Room 0020, University of Waterloo
Also on the agenda is discussion of the many challenges related to improving access to educational opportunities for girls and women in developing nations.